Sunday, January 5, 2014

iPhone 4S Stuck Volume Up Button

A relative wanted me to look at her iPhone 4S to see if I could fix the volume up button which was stuck.  I first took it in to an Apple Store to see if they could fix it on the cheap, but after making an appointment and hours later I was told that it could not be fixed and that I would have to pay $199 to swap it out.  

I read about a shim that they could install, but was told that it was only to fix buttons that were not responding correctly, not ones that were stuck.

So instead of spending $199 I decided to try and fix it myself and I'm glad I did.  After buying the necessary tools to open up the iPhone the fix was quite simple.  One tiny disc that rests behind the volume up button was off center and therefore it was causing the button to stick.  After a drop of super glue and centering this tiny metallic disc it works.  I don't know how long it will last but I spent only $5 for the tools and super glue.  Here are 2 pictures I found online, one without the discs and the other with.  My part looked more like the right one.

As you can see that without the discs there is a hole which prevents the button from working properly.  I don't know why they designed it like this but they did.

So if your volume button is stuck just buy a new one online but make sure it's raised in the center of each button or else it will most likely not work.  If the volume buttons are working, just not properly, try googling about a shim which Apple does install, so don't take no for an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment