Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Supercharge Your Mac Trackpads

As we all know the trackpads on Apple laptops are some of the best, if not the best in the industry.  You're able to bring the same feeling a desktop with the Magic Trackpad, although it's a bit pricey in my opinion.  But, there were some basic things I wasn't able to do, like go back/forward in Finder.  This was really annoying since you would either have to use the buttons or the keyboard shortcut.  I'm not entirely sure why it's not already built in, maybe it is and I don't know, but I was able to find a solution.

The application is called BetterTouchTool and it's been around for a while.  I actually had an old version installed, but just recently installed the latest version.  This application does more than just give you the ability to change gestures on your trackpad.  You can customize the Magic Mouse, a keyboard, Apple Remote, etc.  For my intent and purposes I just wanted to be able to swipe to trigger the back/forward effect.

These gestures can be made globally or based on a specific application.  Either way, it works wonderfully and it solved my issue.

So if you want to go back/forward within Finder, give this application a try.  It also allows you to snap windows on your screen, similar to Windows 7.  The application overall is pretty straight forward in terms of setting it up and works well.  Best of all it's FREE.

No comments:

Post a Comment